Discrete FET "500 Series" compressor, reminiscent
of the MC77
The Purple Audio Action features a constant impedance 600
ohm input attenuator feeding the input transformer, just like our MC77 units.
This makes the input more resistant to overload by hot signals. After the input
transformer, the signal is attenuated by the same gain reduction FET as in the
MC77. The attenuated signal is buffered by our class A KDJ3 opamp, which feeds
the output fader. Lastly, our class AB KDJ4 output opamp drives our custom
hexafilar nickel and steel output transformer. The total gain (with no
attenuation) is 45dB, just like the MC77.
The attack and release times cover a broader range than the
MC77, which can cause distortion... which may or may not be what you are
looking for. Use at extremes with caution. The ratios are the same as the MC77,
and the threshhold moves up as the ratio goes up, just like the MC77.
In the center of the unit is an SMT sidechain and stereo
link amplifier, below that is our SMT compression LED ladder meter driver.
Behind that is the SMT input and output tricolor LED meter driver.
Stereo linking is accomplished by cross connecting pins 3
& 6 on the edge connector. On the Purple Sweet Ten, there is a second output
XLR that can be used to link two Actions. The link is accomplished using a
XLR-F to XLR-F cable with pin 2 on one XLR-F connecting to pin 3 on the other
XLR-F and vice versa. Plug in the cable, flip the front panel switch and you
are linked. Non-Purple racks do not have an easy way to connect pins 3 and 6,
and will need modification to link two Action units.
The Purple Audio Action Features:
- Input attenuator feeding input transformer
- Output level control
- Input and output tricolor LED metering
- Eight LED GR metering
- Five ratios including "All buttons in" mode
- Attack and Release controls
- True Relay Bypass
- Stereo Linking
- Compression on/off switch
- Discrete signal path
- Over Current Resettable Fused (prevents any module problem
from affecting your rack)
- ROHS - Lead Free
- Total Gain: 45dBu
- Ratios: 4:1, 8:1, 12:1, 20:1, ∞:1 ("All buttons
- Attack time: Continuously Variable from over 800
microseconds to 20 microseconds
- Release time: Continuously Variable from over 1.1 seconds to
- Input impedance: 600 ohms
- Output impedance: 600 ohms
- Current consumption: 90ma